Starting with Zero: Hard-Learned Lessons on Starting a New Career from Scratch
10 Things This Book Will Teach You
Learn how to…
1. Build a mindset necessary for creating meaningful and lasting change in your life.
2. Avoid bad habits and enhance the good ones.
3. Challenge yourself to go beyond your comfort zone.
4. Establish your personal monopoly--your area of unique knowledge and expertise.
5. Develop a stronger identity and belief in your underestimated abilities.
6. Leverage time into new opportunities and fulfilling work.
7. Cultivate an environment for making success inevitable.
8. Create serendipity in your life that will lead to amazing connections.
9. Refocus when you've lost momentum or direction.
10. Apply these principles to your own life.
…and much more.
In the last 10 years, and certainly in the last five, I have discovered the blueprint for shaping my own destiny, starting with zero. Over that time, I have:
- Quit two miserable, low-paying, low-meaning office jobs.
- Walked 500 miles across a foreign country.
- Earned $20,000 in one summer just selling fidget spinners.
- Built and ran a multi-million-dollar restaurant with zero prior experience.
- Built my own website and blog that attracts tens of thousands of unique visitors every month.
- Drove 9,000-miles, coast to coast (to coast) on an incredible road trip across America.
- Built and run a 4-week live online course called Unparalleled Live.
- Wrote, edited, marketed, and self-published a book (which you are reading) on how to do all of it, starting with zero.
Gone are the days of watching and waiting for all the streetlights of life to turn green. If taking action is the “secret sauce” to success, then the years of wisdom in this book make up the ingredients.
This book is a collection of essays and notes I wrote over the past three years, while living a six-figure life as a restaurant general manager. Little did I know that in writing these notes, I was silently crafting an escape plan that would change the trajectory of my life forever.
The ideas within these pages became so heavy for me to carry, that I ended up leaving the hospitality industry, leaving the corporate world, and leaving the thought of ever having another day job doing work I didn’t enjoy, to fulfill someone else’s dreams. I was now able to freely pursue my own destiny, do work that actually matters, and eventually write this book. And I’ve never looked back.
Here's some of what you'll find in this book:
- A Day in Your Old Life
- Exercise: Define Your Destiny
- Chart Your Own Course
- Exercise: The Pressure Prompt
- How to Build the Muscle of Change
- Managing Your Emotions
- Cage Your Ego
- Ego Isn’t Your Only Enemy
- Meta-learning: Learn How to Learn
- Honing Your Strategic Mind
- The Inevitability of Success
- Handling the Naysayers
- Seek Wealth, Not Money
- Pros and Cons of a Compass
- Inauthentic vs. Authentic
- Be Protective of Your Time
- It’s Not About Time Management
- A Balanced Approach to Goal Setting
- Fail Fast. Fail Better. Enjoy it.
- Attaining Peak Performance
- How to Find and Develop Your Niche
- Two Foundational Skills You NEED
- A Day in Your New Life